Linux server hangs

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Fri Jan 30 13:23:48 UTC 2009

Vishnu Vardhan Reddy wrote:
> Dear Kurian Thayil.
>
> This is through remote user consoles, like telnet, FTP & SSH from Clients like Windows XP, Fedora & SUSE OS,  our network is fine, on the other hand i have one NIS server with 50 users purely work on the Dump Terminals by logging into NIS server. that server is fast.
>
> But this server behaves diffrently. if i run sar command the optput is fine with low values, i am suspecting with the SATA 250 GB Disk, this is because when compare to SCSI disk (Fast). any other way to debug this issue.

Did you check /var/log/messages for any disk related messages, such as disk full or I/O
errors which might slow down the system? Also check the memory usage, you may be getting
into swap related issues. What is the IOwait% in sar when this occurs.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555