X won't start at bootup but will start at prompt with startx

Dave Martini martini1 at llnl.gov
Mon Jul 6 16:55:49 UTC 2009

It is in run level 5.
The system tries to start the X server and after a few attempts I get
a message that says
Failed to start the X server. It is likely that it is not setup
correctly.
It then lets me select the screen resolution size and monitor type.
I have it set to 800x600 as this is a laptop with a 15" screen.
800x600 works when I type startx at the prompt it does start the X
display at that point but not on bootup
for some reason.
This is also a Vitrual Machine that I'm booting VMware on the laptop
and the Virtual Machine is what is having the problem with the X
server starting. I wonder if it's a VMware problem or a video driver
issue. The laptop is a Dell E6400 XFR with an Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M.
Dave.