how to send a sms with redhat

Manuel Aróstegui manuel at todo-linux.com
Wed Jul 8 17:03:45 UTC 2009

El mié, 08-07-2009 a las 09:52 -0700, Josh Miller escribió:

> Do you find this to be much more reliable than sending via email to the
> providers network?
>
> Just curious as to why you're not using the email version of the phone
> number instead.  Also, I use a vendor who is a SMS gateway to deliver to
> customer's hand-sets but only because it provides visibility down to the
> hand-set level and gives us much greater deliverability.  This is
> overkill for server notifications (depending on provider) but adding for
> information purposes.

Well we have two scenarios here:
We have email alerts during the work hours and then we have SMS sent to
the operators during not work hours.

We went for the GSM phone cause it was faster to set it up, our
monitoring system is running in the same machine where the phone is
plugged to, so sending the SMS is pretty easy this way.

Manuel.

--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

Electronic Mail is not secure, might not be read every day, and should not
be used for urgent or sensitive issues.