Is this sysstem supported by RHEL Server?

Erling Ringen Elvsrud erlingre at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 06:52:13 UTC 2009

On 7/15/09, mark <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:
> Erling Ringen Elvsrud wrote:
> > We are going to try oracle on a virtual machine on VMware. This system has been
> > assigned 4 virtual CPUs and I wonder if this is supported by RHEL
> > Server (max 2 cpu-sockets). /proc/cpuinfo is missing 'physical_id'
> > which identifies each
> > phsyical CPU if I have understood it correctly.
> > So do you think this system is supported?
>
> One thing you need to consider: what *other* vm guests will be on the physical
> server? This is *very* important, because if you've got one that has one VCPU,
> and a second that has two, and this, then the others will do nothing when this
> has its time, *and* this VM will sit and wait until it can get all the VCPUs.

Thanks for your advice. So what do you think, is it really a good idea
to start with
so many VCPUs before we see what kind of performance we get from only one?

They use Vmotion extensively in the VMware cluster so I don't think
the VMware admins have a lot of concern where the individual VM's are
running. I will diskuss this issue with them.

Best regards,

Erling Ringen Elvsrud