Move LVs

Geofrey Rainey Geofrey.Rainey at tvnz.co.nz
Tue Jul 14 23:53:14 UTC 2009

I know you're wondering if there's a simple way to do this using LV
tools such as "lvmove <old VG> <new VG>, but I can't think of one.
However, here's one solution:

1. Create a snapshot for the old LV
2. use dd to create an image of the LV
3. create your new LV
4. use dd to write the image to the new LV

There will be a point in this process where any data written to the old
LV
Will not exist in the dd image and thus could require an outage.

Let me know if you want more details of the steps.