Is this sysstem supported by RHEL Server?

Erling Ringen Elvsrud erlingre at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 06:14:09 UTC 2009

We are going to try oracle on a virtual machine on VMware. This system has been
assigned 4 virtual CPUs and I wonder if this is supported by RHEL
Server (max 2 cpu-sockets). /proc/cpuinfo is missing 'physical_id'
which identifies each
phsyical CPU if I have understood it correctly.
So do you think this system is supported?

Output from /proc/cpuinfo:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 2925.954
cache size      : 4096 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx lm
constant_tsc pni cx16 lahf_lm

bogomips        : 5859.82
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 2925.954
cache size      : 4096 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx lm
constant_tsc pni cx16 lahf_lm

bogomips        : 5849.80
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor       : 2
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 2925.954
cache size      : 4096 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx lm
constant_tsc pni cx16 lahf_lm

bogomips        : 5854.20
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor       : 3
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X7350  @ 2.93GHz
stepping        : 8
cpu MHz         : 2925.954
cache size      : 4096 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx lm
constant_tsc pni cx16 lahf_lm

bogomips        : 5850.79
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64