Is this sysstem supported by RHEL Server?

Erling Ringen Elvsrud erlingre at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 06:49:01 UTC 2009

On 7/15/09, Geofrey Rainey <Geofrey.Rainey at tvnz.co.nz> wrote:
> I don't think the underlying hardware beneath RHEL matters.

Can you elaborate on this. I don't understand.

The reason I ask is that the number of entries in /proc/cpuinfo can vary a lot
due to hyperthreading, multi core, and multi CPU.

For example a 2 CPU server with 8 cores total is supported by RHEL Server
physical_id will be 1 and 0. processor is 0-7.

So to rephrase my question:

Is a virtual server supported by RHEL Server if the physical host has
4 physical CPU-sockets and  the virtual server is assigned 4 virtual
CPUs?
(with the /proc/cpuinfo posted earlier which indicates nothing about
the number of physical cpus only concurrent threads of execution).

What if the virtual host has 1 virtual CPU, but the physical host has
4 physical cpu-sockets?

> I'd be reluctant to run Oracle as a VM, unless it's either
> A very low end database doing minimal work, or a dev environment.

This is not a great concern for me which have only Linux responsibilty, I have
also alredy asked about this and the decision makers claim performance
should be good enough for the application.

Best regards,

Erling Ringen Elvsrud