Why web client accesses lower-case URLs?

Yong Huang yong321 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 22:37:28 UTC 2009

[Excuse me for a message not really related to Red Hat Linux.]

I have a bunch of static html and txt files using mixed case, say, SomeFile.html, linked to from a main page. Apache access log often shows that some clients, which could be from anywhere in the world, try to access the file somefile.html and of course get 404 return code. Yesterday one single client tried to access quite a number of these in all lower-case (and failed). All successfully retrieved pages happened to be files that are indeed all lower-case. Since I can't find the real user from the client IP, is there anything I can do on my end to solve the problem, short of renaming all files to all lower-case or creating symbolic links (or perhaps moving the files to a Microsoft IIS server)? What kind of web browser is the client possibly using?

Yong Huang