[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: backup system for RHEL



Hi,
this sounds interesting, I didn´t know the -s option of lvcreate.
I have a problem with this. In my VG I haven´t free space. When I run the
command:

 lvcreate -s -L 1G -n MySnap1 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
  Insufficient free extents (0) in volume group VolGroup00: 32 required

I have this:

/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                      19360436  13805512   4555620  76% /home

and lvdisplay:
 lvdisplay
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
  VG Name                VolGroup00
  LV UUID                8BRqMo-K9g5-2Pym-SZfS-Wte3-ZMvM-cqYMCv
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                19,06 GB
  Current LE             610
  Segments               2
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     auto
  - currently set to     256
  Block device           253:0


what can I do in this situation? I´m not an expert with LVM

Thanks

ESG





2009/7/23 Geofrey Rainey <Geofrey Rainey tvnz co nz>

> Oh and by the way, after the dd is finished you can lvremove the snapshot
> file.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com [mailto:
> redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Geofrey Rainey
> Sent: Friday, 24 July 2009 9:16 a.m.
> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
> Subject: RE: backup system for RHEL
>
> I use Xen snapshot like so:
>
> 1. create a snapshot file - this can probably be quite small (depending on
> usage but 1G is probably enough)
>
> lvcreate -s -L 1G -n <name of snapshot>
> /dev/<volume_group>/<logical_volume_name>
>
> 2. then backup your partition with something like this:
>
> dd if=/dev/<volume_group>/<name of snapshot> of=<path/lvm_backup.img> bs=1M
>
> 3. if you need to restore, do the following:
>
> dd if=< path/lvm_backup.img of=/dev/<volume_group>/<logical_volume_name>
>
> Of course you'll need as much space as the original partition for this but
> that's the only solution I think.
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com [mailto:
> redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of ESGLinux
> Sent: Friday, 24 July 2009 12:46 a.m.
> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
> Subject: Re: backup system for RHEL
>
> Thanks for your answer,
> I´ll take a look at openfiler, it looks great.
>
> One question, how do I make a Xen snapshot? With vmware I see the option,
> but with Xen not.
>
> any help?
>
> thanks,
>
> ESG
>
>
> >
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=subscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
> ==========================================================
> For more information on the Television New Zealand Group, visit us
> online at tvnz.co.nz
> ==========================================================
> CAUTION:  This e-mail and any attachment(s) contain information that
> is intended to be read only by the named recipient(s).  This information
> is not to be used or stored by any other person and/or organisation.
>
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
> ==========================================================
> For more information on the Television New Zealand Group, visit us
> online at tvnz.co.nz
> ==========================================================
> CAUTION:  This e-mail and any attachment(s) contain information that
> is intended to be read only by the named recipient(s).  This information
> is not to be used or stored by any other person and/or organisation.
>
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request redhat com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]