backup system for RHEL

ESGLinux esggrupos at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 12:40:04 UTC 2009

Well
Finally these are the results of the test:

time dd if=/home/images/nodo1.img of=/home/images/backup/nodo1backup.img
bs=1M
10240+1 records in
10240+1 records out
10737418242 bytes (11 GB) copied, 255,37 seconds, 42,0 MB/s

real    4m20.980s
user    0m0.028s
sys     0m19.461s
# ll nodo1.img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10737418242 jul 24 14:28 nodo1.img
# ll backup/nodo1backup.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10737418242 jul 24 14:27 backup/nodo1backup.img

In 4 minutes I have made a copy of the image and then I used it and it works
fine.

The problem I see with this, is the size of the image. When you make a real
snapshot the size is very small, but with this method the size is the same
as the original image. Backing up this file to an external device will take
a long time.

For me, it´s valid, because I have a small number of images, but for a big
number of images It will be impossible to make this backup.

Another aproach to this problem?

ESG