IPMI: Cannot initialize /dev/ipmi0, getting Unable to find any System Interface(s)

Giuseppe Fuggiano giuseppe.fuggiano at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 08:45:09 UTC 2009

Hi list,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask my question.
Hopefully, someone can me point to a more appropriate list if it
isn't.

I use ipmitool to access to my IPMI interface on two Fujitsu Siemens
TX200 S3 servers and the ipmi_si kernel module.

Yesterday I loaded that module successfully and used this tool to set
the network to have a static IP address and what IP to use.

The two nodes could ping these interface correctly, so I decided to
access to the web interface to tune my configuration.  When firefox
prompted me for a username and a password I inserted admin/admin, but
the interface didn't accepted it.  I tried other 2 or more times.  At
that time both the IPMI interfaces on both nodes came down and I
couldn't reload the ipmi_si module anymore.

When loaded successfully I got these messages in /var/log/messages:

Jun 15 11:13:00 web-clima-nodo1 kernel: ipmi message handler version 39.1
Jun 15 11:13:00 web-clima-nodo1 kernel: ipmi_si: Trying
SMBIOS-specified kcs state machine at i/o address 0xca2, slave address
0x24, irq 0
Jun 15 11:13:00 web-clima-nodo1 kernel: ipmi: Found new BMC (man_id:
0x002880,  prod_id: 0x0200, dev_id: 0x01)
Jun 15 11:13:00 web-clima-nodo1 kernel: ipmi device interface

After this I got /dev/ipmi0 as expected.  After accessing the web
interface, however, I got this:

Jun 16 13:49:55 web-clima-nodo1 kernel: ipmi message handler version 39.1
Jun 16 13:49:55 web-clima-nodo1 kernel: ipmi_si: Trying
SMBIOS-specified kcs state machine at i/o address 0xca2, slave address
0x24, irq 0
Jun 16 13:51:45 web-clima-nodo1 kernel: ipmi_si: There appears to be
no BMC at this location
Jun 16 13:53:35 web-clima-nodo1 kernel: ipmi_si: Unable to find any
System Interface(s)

Can anyone help me?  Does the firmware could get freezed accessing the
web interface?

Thank you very much for your time.

--
Giuseppe