bonding 2 adsl lines

Steve Phillips steve.phillips at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 23:50:23 UTC 2009

The problem with 'bonding' two DSL lines as you've done with the ethernet
ports is that it is heavily dependant upon your ISP. and it's unlikely that
an ISP would offer this as a consumer service (I could be wrong however)

What some people do however is put things like a routing policy in place
which can direct some traffic over one link and some over a second link in
order to distribute load. the problem with this is its never really 100%,
you'd need to work out what the traffic habits of the people using the links
are and then manually try and balance the load based on things like protocol
and destination/source IP addresses.

If you want to persue this then try looking for 'policy routing howto' with
google, a quick howto for source based routing can be seen at..

http://www.compendium.com.ar/policy-routing.txt

If you want to persue DSL link bonding, call your ISP and ask about setting
up multilink PPP over DSL and find out if they do it.

Of note, you cannot do link bonding with links terminating at two different
ISPs, both DSL circuits would need to be to the same ISP. (just a FYI)

--
Steve.