vmware

Josh Miller joshua at itsecureadmin.com
Fri Jun 26 18:46:21 UTC 2009

mark wrote:
> Well, I'm finally setting up a vm, to test out CentOS 5.3. First time I fired
> up vmserver, and it *looks* like it doesn't want to allow me to give it more
> than 3.5G.

Which version of VMware Server are you using?  If you are using a recent
version you should be able to provision 8GB if your host supports this.

For VMware server 2+
"The maximum amount of memory that can be allocated per virtual machine
has been raised from 3.6GB to 8GB. The amount of memory used by all
virtual machines combined is limited only by the amount of the host
computer's RAM. "

> Second, I'd already created three virtual partitions using LVM, which I want to
> use for the vm's datastore. In create datastore, I don't see any way to point
> to anything *other* than a mounted filesystem - is there any way around that?

"A datastore is a storage location for VMware Server virtual machine
files. The storage location can be the local file system, a CIFS store
(Windows only), or an NFS‐mounted file system (Linux only)."

re:
http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/server_pubs.html

HTH,
--