df showing 100% used, when du shows only 20% being used.

Josh Miller joshua at itsecureadmin.com
Thu Jun 4 15:50:08 UTC 2009

Ben Kevan wrote:
> I have a machine here where df shows a mount point being 100% full.
> However, when you do a du -h it shows that only 1.1G of the 5G is being
> used.

You might try to run the following command to find deleted files that
have not been released by a running process:

$ lsof | grep -i deleted

Look for a large file or set of files.  Then you can track down the
process that has that file handle open and kill it to free up the disk
space.

If all else fails, it might be worthwhile to reboot in a pinch to just
get the box back up and running but this should be a last resort.

HTH,
--
Josh Miller, RHCE/VCP
Seattle, WA