deny su - root

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Fri Jun 5 21:19:58 UTC 2009

Ezra Taylor wrote:
> You can also make sure that you are the only one that knows the password.
> Doing a su - root requires a password.  If your users don't know the root
> password, they will not be able to access the root account.  Also, as
> another of our list members stated, put only users you what to have sudo
> access in a group(ie wheel) in your sudoers file.

No. Users. Should. Have. Root. Password. Engrave that in stone in your brain.

Your manager should have it, but NO ONE ELSE, EVER.

This is not a Windows box. They can do what they need to without it. If and
*only* if they have a special reason, *and* your manager agrees, give them
sudo, and limit that.

	mark