/usr/local FS

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat Jun 13 22:01:36 UTC 2009

On 13Jun2009 17:13, Matias Nicolas <matiasnicolas at live.co.uk> wrote:
| Hi, can somebody tell me what's stored on the /usr/local FS ?? I got a
| problem with it. That FS got corruped when i wanted to resize it then the
| machine prompetd me to go on maintenance menu. I commented the /usr/local
| line in the fstab and my machine powered on correctly. Then, I removed
| the lv and created a new one with less space. After that i untared all
| the files i got in /usr/local from another machine I got here. Now my
| machine is up, but I wanted to know if I've lost something critical.

/usr/local generally contains extra software that did not come from a
repository (i.e. via yum). The idea is that just as you have /usr/bin,
/usr/share etc where stuff is normally installed via packages (which
share the rpm db, and thus can't conflict), stuff you may build yourself
should install in /usr/local/{bin,share,etc...} to avoid conflict.

So you've probably lost nothing that can't be easily replaced.

If you've never put anything in /usr/local it may well be almost empty.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them.       - Albert Einstein