SUDO

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Mon Jun 22 18:27:53 UTC 2009

Hike wrote:
> Why?
>
> If the user knows the root password, there is no need.

Ok, let me explain further. We're not talking home systems, we're talking
corporate. And no, *not* everyone knows the root password. In fact, using sudo
su - means they do not have to know it.

> If sudo is cofigured correctly, there is no need to "su - root" since
> the user can already run the needed commands.

That depends. Some users - presumably admins - can be configured to allowed to
run only certain commands. Others may need less limited use, and it can be a
lot easier if they can get to root; for example, when I'm going to look at
logs, and only root can read them, or even look in some directories under
/var/log, it's a *real* pain to sudo view every single log.

> "man sodu" should explain how to configure sudo and the locatio of the
> configuration file.
>
> Did you stop to think that you might not be permitted to do this with
> sudo or that the "sudo su - root" may need to be defined in the
> configuatio file or that the entire su command mat need to be quoted,
> etc. So that sudo would understsnd?

The original poster did say they thought they'd configured it correctly,
implying - this may not be the case - that they did have access to do this.

	mark