PHP 5.2 and other requirements for TypoLight

Jose R R jose.r.r at metztli.com
Thu Jun 25 05:27:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 2:16 PM, mark <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:

> Jose R R wrote:
> <snip>
> > Please note that Quercus 3.2.1 has been under continued development since
> > the 2008 release and currently Quercus 4.0 has been embedded into Caucho's
> > own Resin 4.0 Java application server.  As you may be aware, some portal
> > software, think LifeRay, is distributed bundled with Java application
> > servers like Apache Geronimo (<
> > http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/downloads/portal  >).  Accordingly, it is
> > nothing out of the ordinary to deploy your PHP based portal with an
> > underlying Java application server for added security.
>
> So this means you don't need the PHP-java-bridge?
>
>        mark

Exactly.  You may want to reference this white paper: <
http://www.caucho.com/products/whitepapers/quercus.pdf >.  Please note
that the compilation of PHP scripts to Java byte code (for faster
access) is only easily enabled in Caucho's own Resin Java application
server.

Moreover, although Caucho may subsequently make available Quercus 4.0
as an module/servlet independent of Resin 4.0 --just as now Quercus
3.2.1 is available independent of Resin 3.2.x-- it will likely require
tweaking and/or recompilation for full feature use on other than Resin
Java application servers.

My experience enabling Quercus 3.2.1 on IBM WASCE / Apache Geronimo (<
http://www.metztli-it.com/blog/index.php/2009/06/14/todavia-no-se?blog=4
>) provided me the insight to know that certain PHP applications like
the Multi-blog & Advanced Blogging Software b2evolution (<
http://b2evolution.net >) require still unimplemented features (<
http://bugs.caucho.com/view.php?id=3565 >).  On the other hand,
Whissip (< http://whissip.net/ >), an branch of b2evolution, will fare
better purportedly due to difference in database access
implementation.

Evidently, my suggestion of Quercus w/out IBM WASCE / Apache Geronimo
/ Resin is simply for the interested party to evaluate her/his PHP
portal application on an Java application server.  If he PHP
application runs without issues, then Martens will probably gain
security and performance advantage over any other solution.

Best regards.

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com