SUDO

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Mon Jun 29 20:37:07 UTC 2009

hike wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 3:49 PM, mark <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:
>> hike wrote:

>> <snip>
>>> the op wants to hack the system and gain resources he has no
>>> authorization for. Or the managers don't want to share root password, say,
>>> with a contractor, who
>> they've hired as a sysadmin, but will only be there a few months, and they
>> don't want to have to change root passwords.
>
> that is a distinction without a difference.
>
> the op wants to hack the system and gain resources he has no authorization
> for.

You're completely wrong. If, in my example, the contractor is granted the
individual account, and group access to explicitly allow that - and it *is* a
specific specification in /etc/sudoers, it may be management's intent to have
them do it that way.

That was exactly the case for me on a recent contract. My managers told me to
do it that way.

So, it is both a distinction *and* a difference.

	mark