SUDO

Jose R R jose.r.r at metztli.com
Tue Jun 30 05:19:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:27 AM, Matias
Nicolas<matiasnicolas at live.co.uk> wrote:

> I know that sudo is for running commands with root privileges but this idea is about typing "sudo su -" and use one's password and not root's.
>

> That's all...
[...]
The command sequence of interest functions "natively" in GNU/Linux
operating systems like Ubuntu and derivatives like SymphonyOS (<
http://symphonyos.com/ >) where an user simply types at her/his
command prompt:

sudo su -
[sudo] password for <user>:

After the user provides her/his *regular* <user> password, s/he is
allowed root privilege.  This can be verified if the user types:

whoami

at her/his command shell.

Note typical fragment in the /etc/sudoers default for one of these systems:
---------------fragment start---------------
# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
--------------fragment end-----------------

Needless to say, "friendly" GNU/Linux operating systems represent the
bridge used by those users coming from Windows proprietary systems.
As such, and noticing the email domain / footer advertising, it may be
that Matias is asking for an tutorial and/or instructions on how to
downgrade security on an full blown enterprise level operating system
like Fedora to something that "behaves" more like Ubuntu desktop and
derivatives.

If I happen to hit the mark (no pun intended) with the above, may I
ask, what operating system are you using, Matias?  Knowing what
specific GNU/Linux operating system you are using will enable users in
this list to help you.

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com