cron usage and squid daily log rotate

a bv vbavbalist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 08:24:09 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I would like to daily logrotate the squid log files at everyday at
00:00(midnight) at some RHEL 5.x systems. I havent used cron things
for a long time so i forgot all about it. Also i have the
logrotate.conf  and /etc/logrotate.d/squid file.

i have tried to add a /usr../sbin/rotate -k thing as a cron job but it
seem to be unsuccessfull.  Googling makes some mind mixing samples
etc. also using crontab -e command brings an empty file, other than
the one i find crontab.

So is there someone who will shortly explain the cron related files
and usage , also making the squid rotate its daily logs easily.   Most
of the resources (including books) makes confusing the minds at these
simple subjects. Couldnt see  a step by step guide.

Regards