Cannot see README.txt file http / web site using Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server

Nicholas G. Stamatakos stamatakos.nick at usno.navy.mil
Wed Mar 11 12:47:29 UTC 2009

Bizarre feature of red hat.  I don't know if it is a bug, or not.
My co-worker puts README.txt file at /var/www/html/subdirectory and it
is not viewable from web browser.  He renames the file to READ.ME.txt
and we can see it from the web browser.  The permissions are correct
(world readable) on both README.txt and READ.ME.txt .

Is README.txt filtered out so that general web browser cannot see it?

Thanks
Nick
--
Nick Stamatakos