Problems with NIS on RedHat Enterprise 5.3 system.

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Mon Mar 16 20:10:23 UTC 2009

I need documentation  on NIS client for an RH Enterprise 5.3 system.
Also  please send any suggestions as to what we have  misconfigured on
our client.

We have a 2.6.18-128.1.1.el5xen system on which we are trying to
configure NIS  client software.
Our NIS server is a Solaris system running  SunOS 5.8.

> I changed the active contents of /etc/nsswitch.conf to
>
> 	# /etc/nsswitch.conf
> 	passwd: files nis
> 	shadow: files nis
> 	group: files nis
> 	hosts: files nisplus nis dns
> 	bootparams: nis files
> 	services: files networks:
> 	 files protocols: files
> 	rpc: files
> 	ethers: files
> 	netmasks: files
> 	netgroup: nisplus
> 	bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files
> 	publickey: nisplus
> 	automount: files
> 	aliases: files nisplus
>

> I changed the active contents of /etc/yp.conf to
>
> ypserver ourserversname
> domain ourdomainname

/etc/sysconfig/network contains

NETWORKING_IPV6=no