RHEL5 and Sun Java

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat Mar 21 01:47:15 UTC 2009

On 20Mar2009 16:32, Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh at forsoft.com> wrote:
| I am attempting to install RHEL 5.3 on an HP DL360 G5 system and it
| seems like every time I turn around I am encountering conflicts
| and I have not even got to the point where I will be installing our
| application software (which is where I thought I would have problems).
| Now to the problem at hand...
|
| I was attempting to install the Lexmark MarkVision for Linux software
| but it refused to recognize the Java that came with 5.3.
|
| I then uninstalled the Java and downloaded Sun's JRE 6 Update 12
| (specifically jre-6u12-linux.i586.rpm.bin) and started installing it.

Personally, I install a non-RPM version in /opt, eg
  /opt/sun-jre-6u12

| It appears to install fine until I get to the point where I am
| supposed to install the Firefox (version 3.0.7) plugin. The target
| directory for libjavaplugin_oji.so (/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.7/plugins)
| did not exist so I created it and installed the symlink

Have you checked that the symlink resolves?

  ls -ldL /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.7/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

and that you have chosen the right .so (I think there's a few).

| and then
| installed the extension files.

What extension files? Historicly it has been enough for me to install
the symlink; nothing more is needed.

| 1. Has anyone else encountered this and what did you do to get it
|    working (assuming you did get it working)?
| 2. Failing that, does anyone have suggestions on what I can try next?

Check that the symlink is correct as above.

The next thing you can do, on the premise that the plugin directory is
not the right directory, is install the symlink in your _personal_
plugins directory in your firefox profile directory. That will at least
tell you if the JRE isn't playing or if your first symlink was in the
wrong place.

Finally, start firefox using strace and see where it looks for plugins:

  strace -f firefox 2>strace.out

Start it up, go to the URL "about:plugins", check Java's not there,
quit. Then:

  fgrep -i plugin strace.out

See where it looks (you're probably looking for opendir() calls).

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The batsmen out there should know something about the game.
- Michael Holding, Aus vs West Indies commentator