RH 5.3 working with XFree86-libs

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Mon Mar 2 16:43:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 08:14:54AM -0800, Margaret Doll wrote:
> We have two RedHat 5.3 systems on which we need to install ENVI, a
> mapping graphics program.
>
> ENVI needs  libXp.so.6 which is included in the old
>
> > XFree86-libs-4.3.0-128.EL.x86_64.rpm
> > XFree86-libs-data-4.3.0-128.EL.x86_64.rpm
>
> packages.
>
> When we install these packages on the RH 5.3 systems, the console on
> the systems goes totally blank.  On reboot we get a solid blue screen.
>
> We need a work around for the RH system or from ITT for ENVI.
>
> Thank you for any suggestions.

First recommendation would be to contact RH support for their
suggestions on this.

Second thing that comes to mind is that probably the above package is
stepping on the "real" libXp.so.6?  You might be able to extract the
RPM to /opt instead and tell your application to look for its libraries
under that hierarchy instead.

Ray