RH 5.3 working with XFree86-libs

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Mon Mar 2 17:14:48 UTC 2009

Margaret Doll wrote:
> We have two RedHat 5.3 systems on which we need to install ENVI, a
> mapping graphics program.
>
> ENVI needs  libXp.so.6 which is included in the old
>
>> XFree86-libs-4.3.0-128.EL.x86_64.rpm
>> XFree86-libs-data-4.3.0-128.EL.x86_64.rpm
>
> packages.
>
> When we install these packages on the RH 5.3 systems, the console on the
> systems goes totally blank.  On reboot we get a solid blue screen.
>
> We need a work around for the RH system or from ITT for ENVI.
>
> Thank you for any suggestions.

This is what I use for IDL (which is quite closely related to ENVI):

$ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib/libXp.so.6
libXp-1.0.0-8.1.el5

You should be able to install it with yum, provided you have a RHN license. Otherwise
build it from the source RPM.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555