Options for logging console messages

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herffjones.com
Mon Mar 2 20:47:11 UTC 2009

Your server should not hang during shutdown as a result of having kernel
logging pointed to /var/log/console in /etc/syslog.conf.  Something else
is going on.

(Also, if you're going to log to /var/log/console, don't forget to add
that file to /etc/logrotate.d/syslog, so that you don't fill up /var in
the future.)

If a storage hang is your problem, it's possible that after boot you
won't have all log messages.  You didn't mention what other systems are
nearby, but you can also send your syslog messages over the network to a
remote syslog server (ie another machine nearby on the network), so that
you have a second copy on separate hardware.  The machine receiving the
logs from the network can be Linux or Windows (or anything else that
accepts syslog over the wire).  On RHEL you'd want to add "-r" to the
options for syslogd in /etc/sysconfig/syslog, and open the syslog port
in iptables if you've got it locked down.  (Preferably open it only to
the system you're troubleshooting.)  On Windows you can use Kiwi Syslog
for free.

--
Trever