High Load and Low CPU & Memory

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herffjones.com
Mon Mar 2 21:24:13 UTC 2009

Do your iowait percentages go up in top?  Perhaps you have an
i/o-related problem.

Are your network cards running at the same duplex as your connected
switch ports?

Is kswapd busy (ie your system's thrashing) during the spikes?

You might get useful records by installing the sysstat package and then
configuring sar to run every minute, then using sar to report on the
collected data.