RHEL, CentOS, not supporting 7gig RAM

saqib butt mr.saqi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 17:41:53 UTC 2009

hi,

I have Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 / 2 GHz processor. i just upgraded my
system with 4 memory sticks i.e. 7GB of RAM due to my requirements.

Now the issue that i am facing is that my 32bit linux system does not
showing and suppoting more than 3.XX gigs of RAM when i consult
"/proc/meminfo", "free -m" and "top".

Now i have done two thing, first i have installed a PAE version of kernel.
In result of this my system become two slow with the following error at
startup.

Error: starting udev: wait timeout. will continue in the background <Failed>

Secondly, i installed a 64bit version of RHEL5 but still it showing not more
than 3GB of memory.

If somebody had faced that kind of issue and may be if i am going wrong way,
do help me in this issue. I will be very thankful to u. I am suffering a lot
due to that memory issue.

Motherboard i have is from intel and its DG965RY. The four memory sticks are
of 667 bus speed and three of them are in 2GB of capacity and one is of 1GB
in capacity.