Tape drive permission changes on every restart

Allen, Jack Jack.Allen at mckesson.com
Mon Mar 9 20:51:42 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Pankaj Batra [mailto:batra786 at yahoo.co.in]
Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 4:35 PM
To: redhat-list at redhat.com
Subject: Tape drive permission changes on every restart

Hi Techies
               We have here IBM x-series server withe RHEL 4 installed.I am facing one prob. that Tape drive permission changes on every restart. I want it to have permission 777.

Can anyone have idea ?

Pankaj Batra.

Add a check to make sure the tape drive name (/dev/st0) or what ever yours is and change the mode in the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file. I am pretty sure this gets run last when you reboot, so the device should have been identified and the name created by then. It would probably be best to check for drives 0 through 9, so if you add a tape drive later you will not stumble into the problem again.

---
Jack Allen