Time Zone information

Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov
Wed Mar 11 18:43:09 UTC 2009

             "Allen, Jack"
             <Jack.Allen at mckes
             son.com>                                                   To
             Sent by:                  General Red Hat Linux discussion
             redhat-list-bounc         list <redhat-list at redhat.com>
             es at redhat.com                                              cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/11/2009 01:29          Time Zone information
             PM

             Please respond to
              General Red Hat
             Linux discussion
                   list
             <redhat-list at redh
                  at.com>

Hello:
        I have a customer that is running RH AS 4.7 and the time did not
change this weekend as it was suppose to. I know the time zone for the
system is located in /etc/localtime. I searched the web for a command
that would dump the information to show if it is the correct one they
should be using, but I was not able to find anything. During my
searching I kept running across things that said that /etc/localtime was
a symbolic link to /usr/share/zoneinfo/*. On the customer's systems and
mine /etc/localtime is not a symbolic link. So this could be the problem
on their system if the tzdata update, updated the time zone information
in /usr/share/zoneinfo/* assuming /etc/localtime would be pointing to
the correct updated file.

        So should it be a symbolic link?

        How can I display the information in a time zone file to se the
settings.

-----
Thanks:
Jack Allen

>From an old how to doc:

HOW TO TEST FOR DAYLIGHT SAVINGS DATES
# use appropriate year

zdump -v /etc/localtime |grep 2007

IF THE DATES ARE INCORRECT CAN
# have to choose the package for your time zone, mine was Chicago

update /etc/localtime by hand after installing the latest tzdata package.

cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago /etc/localtime

ONCE UPDATED, ALL SERVICES USING /ETC/LOCAL HAVE TO BE RESTARTED

service ntpd restart

081231: BUT! it takes minutes to hours before ntpd gets properly synced to
show you the localtime.
if a date command give UTC, it has not done it's syncing yet.
090310: can force the sync with ntpq -gxq    (I was told)

run this command

[root at blade5 /]# zdump -v /etc/localtime | grep 2007
/etc/localtime  Sun Mar 11 07:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 01:59:59 2007 CST
isdst=0 gmtoff=-21600
/etc/localtime  Sun Mar 11 08:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 03:00:00 2007 CDT
isdst=1 gmtoff=-18000
/etc/localtime  Sun Nov  4 06:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Nov  4 01:59:59 2007 CDT
isdst=1 gmtoff=-18000
/etc/localtime  Sun Nov  4 07:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Nov  4 01:00:00 2007 CST
isdst=0 gmtoff=-21600

and it shows the new daylight savings time.

RHEL4 handles updating older systems this way:
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_85_9951.shtm