RHEL 5.3 with nagios

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Wed Mar 11 19:16:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:10:51PM -0700, Virgilio Antonio Araujo wrote:
> Hi everbody.
> I work on IT company who has a lot of servers with RHEL OS and two
> news RHEL 5.3.  My question is someone had sucess to compile
> nagios-plugins and nagios-nrpe on RHEL 5.3?  On RHEL 5.2 works well.
>
> Above the error.
> [root at spas077elc nagios-plugins-1.4.13]# cat /etc/issue
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga)
> Kernel \r on an \m
>
> [root at spas077elc nagios-plugins-1.4.13]# ./configure
> --with-nagios-user=nagios
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name...
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> Thank you and sorry for bad english.

Looks like you don't have a C compiler installed.  yum install gcc
should solve this.

In addition, you might consider using the nagios RPM's from EPEL[1]
instead of building from source.  This will keep things a little
"cleaner" in case you need to reintsall or upgrade later.

Ray

[1]: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL