Strange cron problem... Or maybe mailng?

Burke, Thomas G. tg.burke at ngc.com
Fri Mar 13 00:38:38 UTC 2009

All,

	I am running RH 6.3...  I have started noticing that there seems
to be something keeping my cron jobs from running (or at least maybe
sending out some of the mailings).

	If I go into /var/log and delete stuff in there, then the next
day or so, the logcheck and cron anomalies get sent to my monitoring
e-mail account.  However, after a day or two, the system stops mailing
again.

	I've looked for rootkits, etc, and have found none.  Everything
looks copacetic.  But, it appears that the cron.daily scripts are not
being run.

	Any clues?

	Thanks,
		Tom