Root filesystem went Read- only mode

Thomas Fess dfezz1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 13 21:30:12 UTC 2009

All,

I have seen this exact situation on vmware hosted linux servers.  What happened in my case was the multipathing changed and lost connection to the OS bianaries and locked the OS filesystems to Read-Only.  The server never crashed and everything seemed to be running fine.  I only detected the issue trying to change ownership of a directory as root.  I was unable to chown the dir and had never seen such an issue.  I would assume that this or something similar has happened.

Check your san connect, if you are using multipathing check and test it.

If your side of things seems ok, then look at the SAN head/filer and see if the switch and pathing is changing to the head/filer/san/whatever...
Is the traffic going across the switch interlink ??? etc.

Is the os running from SAN????  Could be an issue.  I usually run OS local, but in some cases we run it from san for DR-disaster recovery purposes.  Easier to copy and point at another server.  but i thing the cons out weigh the pros   my 2 cents or 5 cents