cp

Madan Thapa madan.feedback at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 18:53:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 11:44 PM, mark <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:

> Raj Har wrote:
> > hello everybody,
> >                         i am new in Linux so please help me.
> > i made users like user1,user2,user3,user4.not from useradd command.
> > and i wanna copy all skel file in these users home directory.
> > i am using this command.
> > cp -rf /etc/skel/.bash* /home/user*
> > but its not working.
> >
> > and i wanna know exact mean of  "-r" option.

Try this

1) Save the list of user names to a file say:   /home/user.txt

2) then run the following command:

for user in `cat /home/user.txt` ; do cp -f /etc/skel/.bash* /home/$user/ ;
done

Btw,  -r option means ( copy recursive for cp command ) , however, since you
are likely to copy files only ( .bash* ) , so -r option is not necessary.