Problems with NIS on RedHat Enterprise 5.3 system.

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Tue Mar 17 12:34:56 UTC 2009

On Mar 16, 2009, at 5:54 PM, Barry Brimer wrote:

> Quoting Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll at brown.edu>:
>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>>> From: Margaret Doll <Margaret_Doll at brown.edu>
>>> Date: March 16, 2009 4:10:23 PM EDT
>>> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>
>>> Subject: Problems with NIS on RedHat Enterprise 5.3  system.
>>>>

>>> I need documentation  on NIS client for an RH Enterprise 5.3 system.
>>> Also  please send any suggestions as to what we have  misconfigured
>>> on our client.
>>>
>>> We have a 2.6.18-128.1.1.el5xen system on which we are trying to
>>> configure NIS  client software.
>>> Our NIS server is a Solaris system running  SunOS 5.8.
>
> <snip>
>
> Did you use system-config-authentication so that all necessary files
> would be
> modified, or did you modify files by hand?

I modified by hand.    I tried to open the system-config-network on
this particular system, but apparently there is a bug in the gui
program.  I also like to modify the files by hand, so I can have a
better understanding of the process.   We maintain various types of
operating systems here.  Guis change with the systems, but the basic
unix structure stays the same.