Strange IPv6 DNS lookups

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 07:18:06 UTC 2009

Thanks for the advice.

I've followed the steps you outlined below, but the problem unfortunately
persists. I've learned that most packages on the system are compiled with
IPv6 support, so from what I can tell this is what is usually happening:

   1. The client process (can be more or less whatever process running on
   the linux box) issues a AAAA DNS query for the FQDN *
   server1.example-prod.com*
   2. The DNS server drops the package, so the linux box iterates through
   the "search" entries in /etc/resolv.conf, adding the entries found here to
   the FQDN. This results in the bizarre queries mentioned in my first post.
   3. When AAAA record queries does not return a valid answer, a normal A
   query is made. This query returns the corret result.

Say I have two entries in the "search" section of /etc/resolv.conf, I will
end up with the linux box issuing 3 unsuccessful AAAA queries for every
successful A query. This causes a great amount of overhead on the DNS server
(or the linux box if caching is used).

I'm sure we're not the only ones having to deal with this issue, so any
advice on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Kenneth