RHEL5 and Sun Java

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Mon Mar 23 15:38:16 UTC 2009

Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> From: Marti, Rob Sent: March 23, 2009 07:17
>> Its in a different channel -I can never remember which one, but
>> you can get it through yum.
>
> I ran a "yum list all" and it did not show up there.
>
> On RHN if I search packages using "Channels relevant to your systems"
> it does not show up either but it does if I select the IA-32 channel
> (which my system should be).
>
> Curious.
>
> I suspect I should bump this one back to RHN support and see what they
> say.
>
> Thanks, Hugh

Ah, yes, it's in the Supplementary channel. You need to alter your client channel
subscriptions. That channel has 290 packages, the vast majority of which are Java
variants. When you do that you should see java-1.6.0-sun as an option either in the RHN
packages for your system, or via yum:

# yum search java-1.6.0-sun
rhel-i386-client-supplementary-5                | 1.3 kB     00:00
java-1.6.0-sun-devel.i586 : Sun Java Development Kit
java-1.6.0-sun-demo.i586 : Demonstration files for Sun JDK
java-1.6.0-sun.i586 : Sun Java Runtime Environment

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555