RHEL5 and HP PSP 8.20

Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov Phebe_Mertes at aotx.uscourts.gov
Tue Mar 24 13:22:34 UTC 2009

Dear Hugh,

HP does offer documentation on how PSP does not work.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01663933&dimid=1130744662&dicid=alr_mar09&jumpid=em_alerts/us/mar09/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category_ISSPCNHPProLian/alerts

I am working with RHEL5.3 64 bit custom install and my RHCE and HP expert
have me installing only the Server Management Homepage, not the PSP. We use
it to look at the hard drives in the MSA storage housings and will be using
it to look at SANs devices. The SMH is one of the first steps in any
diagnosis we do so we can verify if there is a hardware problem causing the
perfomrance issue.

Read the above article and find out how to sign yourself up for the
notices. Just to give you an idea that PSP has various problems, here are
some of the other titles I cut and pasted from the HP support page.

Advisory: HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) Console - System and Event
Collections Panel May Be Slow to Display 19 Nov 2007
Advisory: HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) May Experience Sub-Optimal
Performance When Managing 1000 or More Devices 19 Nov 2007
Advisory: (Revision) Port Status on a Fibre Channel HBA May Not be Properly
Updated in HP System Management Homepage When a Link Failure Occurs 18 Oct
2007
Advisory: HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) 5.1 System Properties
Contract and Warranty Information Section Does Not Contain a Complete List
of System Country Codes 16 Oct 2007
Advisory: (Revision) NXUDiag Diagnostics Utility Displays Inconsistent
False Failed Message for the Internal Loopback Test on the HP NC510x PCIe
10 Gigabit Server Adapter 4 Oct 2007
Advisory: Running System Management Homepage Commands from the Linux
Command Line Does Not Allow the Security Log File Rotation Size to be
Changed 28 Aug 2007

Phebe Mertes
210-301-6271

             "Hugh E
             Cruickshank"
             <hugh at forsoft.com                                          To
             >                         "Redhat-List"
             Sent by:                  <redhat-list at redhat.com>
             redhat-list-bounc                                          cc
             es at redhat.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       RHEL5 and HP PSP 8.20
             03/23/2009 04:36
             PM

             Please respond to
              General Red Hat
             Linux discussion
                   list
             <redhat-list at redh
                  at.com>

RHEL 5.3, HP DL360G5 and PSP 8.20

Hi All:

I am in the process of installing RHEL 5.3 on a new HP DL360G5 box.
I am new to 5.3 (but not RHEL) and HP. I am attempting to load the
HP ProLiant Support Pack (PSP 8.20) but I have been encountering
some problems. Apparently portions of the PSP require the kernel
source and this is were I believe that I am having my problem.

Here is what I have, what I have done and what I am attempting to
do (hopefully with sufficient detail):

1. Our current kernel is kernel-PAE-2.6.18-128.1.1.el5.

2. I have downloaded and installed kernel-2.6.18-128.1.1.el5.src.rpm.

3. I have also installed rpm-build, rpm-devel, unifdef, gcc, make,
   redhat-rpm-config, ncurses-devel and kernel-devel.

4. I have ran:

   cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
   rpmbuild –bp -–target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec
   cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
   cp -a kernel-2.6.18/linux-2.6.18.i686/ /usr/src/
   ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.18.i686/ /usr/src/linux

5. I am attemtping to run the PSP installed (install820.sh) but I
   am encountering:

     The HP ProLiant Linux Deployment Utility requires source code
     for the 2.6.18-128.1.1.el5PAE kernel be available for building and
     installing certain drivers included in this bundle.
     The directory, /lib/modules/2.6.18-128.1.1.el5PAE/build, is either
     missing, or is empty.

   When I check the /lib/modules/2.6.18-128.1.1.el5PAE directory is
   present but the build subdirectory is not.

I strongly suspect that I have not followed through sufficiently on
installing the kernel source but this is all new to me. I have never
had the need to rebuild a kernel and what I have so far is based on
several different sources such as:

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/docs/DOC-9786 and
http://ingvar.blog.linpro.no/2007/12/14/bygge-kjerne-pa-rhel5-med-egen-konfi

gurasjon