Good choice for Laser color printers for RHEL 5 CUPS

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Fri Mar 27 10:32:50 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

We centralize our printing facilities using the RHEL 5 CUPS system (the
default version that RHEL wears, not the most recent one) and we
generally find it OK. We are mainly an HP print shop, having success
with the 4### Laserjet series on b&w and we used for the last 5 years
the 4600DN for color laser printing. Obviously, we need to start
replacing them, as they start showing their age and hence the question:
What's your suggestion for selecting good laser printers, fully
compatible with the RHEL 5 CUPS system (I have looked at the drivers and
HCL lists, but I am after opinions from people who use them). Any
opinions about non HP printers that meet those criteria are also welcome.

PS: The recommended monthly output of the 4600 DN was approx. 85000
pages. We would like to keep that as a targer as our folks print a lot.

GM

George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios