name & id looks up are suddenly failing

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Mon Mar 30 19:44:53 UTC 2009

I have an LDAP system running on a RHEL 5 box for quite some time now
without any problem.

Recently, anytime a user tries to log in they are unable to.  I managed
to log in as root and try to do any command that requires looking up a
username, and the system hangs.  Even doing an 'ls /home' hangs.

I've determined it has something to do with nss...if I remove ldap from
nsswitch.conf, the system responds, but user ids are not translated to
user names.

/var/log/messges doesn't show much, just:
Mar 30 15:43:38 sapphire ls: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server -
Server is unavailable
Mar 30 15:43:38 sapphire ls: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server
(sleeping 4 seconds)...
Mar 30 15:43:42 sapphire ls: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server
(sleeping 8 seconds)...
Mar 30 15:43:44 sapphire ls: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server
(sleeping 16 seconds)...
Mar 30 15:44:00 sapphire ls: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server
(sleeping 32 seconds)...

I haven't changed anything on this system and have no idea why this
started.  Its a fully patched RHEL 5 box.  Any ideas where to start looking?