Packages Updates

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Mon May 4 17:34:28 UTC 2009

Darvin,

Darvin Denmian wrote:

> Mark -> this solution is based in a php compilation, right? And if i
> need newest version of php compiled by RedHat?

I've done it both ways, though where I worked for some time, we built, because
we needed to include SSL support. If you want to install binaries, the rpm
command has a flag to allow you to specify an alternate base directory for the
install. Remember, you can always check where the binary (or source) wants to
dump its files by rpm -qlp <packagename> - make sure to put in the p, that
tells it to look in the packages, not in the installed packages d/b.

> Another questio:
>
> Like in OpenSuse systems, i like to know the reason why i need to
> upgrade a package, eg:
>
> bind -> bind: spoofing signed mesages
>
> Patch: bind Type: security Version: 426
>
> This update improves the verification of return values of openssl
> functions. Prior this update it was possible to spoof answers signed
> with DSA and
> NSEC3DSA. (CVE-2009-0025)

> There is something like this in Red Hat systems?

I'd look at the project site, such as php's home page. They should have a list
of security and bug fixes. For that matter, I *think* that CERT has such lists,
and recommended patch releases. (You *do* know CERT, right?