Semi OT: cpu always 100%

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Fri May 22 14:24:15 UTC 2009

ESGLinux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have marked this question as Semi OFF Topic because I think its not Red
> Hat specific issue but a related product.
>
> I use tomcat on a  Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4).
> What happens to me is that suddenly the process of tomcat gets 100% CPU and
> stays at that level of usage for ever. I suspect there is a problem with my
> application (I´m not asking about this, that´s my problem :-( )

Tomcat... yeah, I was just working with tomcat for the first time at my recent
contract, and not overwhelmed by it (loathe the many-hundred-line java stack
traces, as opposed to clear error messages).

A couple things to try: first, as a quick fix, renice the process down by a
couple of points. Sometimes, giving other processes *some* time slice will
speed things up.

Second, check the JAVA_OPTS for tomcat. I was working with confluence (a wiki),
and had to seriously up the heap max and the perm max (-Xmx and -XXm, I think
the parms are). The former defaults to something like 128m and the latter to
64m, and I had to take that up to either 768m or 1024m for the first, and 256m
for the second. When I did that, CPU usage went down a bit.

	mark