Packages Updates

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Mon May 4 16:58:06 UTC 2009

Darvin Denmian wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> i need some answers:
>
> 1° How do i mensure the impact of a RedHat system upgrade?
> 2° In my system I have the RedHat php-5.1.6 installed, and this
> version has some bugs that make impossible to implement my software, I
> wonder how I can update it using yum.
>
> Thanks !!
>
> and sorry for bad english :(

Ah... php. I'd set up test websites - named hosts are *very* useful there, and
have it load an appropriate version of php. Do *NOT* install via yum (I'm not
*that* up on yum, and don't know if it allows you to specify an alternate base
directory). You do *not* want to blow away the existing stuff yet. I'd put it
under, say, /usr/local/php-5.<whatever>, and make sure that the load module
directive for the test website pointed to that specific version of php. Then
you can test all you want, with no impact to the existing environment.

	mark