Packages Updates

Anton Hofmann doomrunner.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 7 15:39:34 UTC 2009

Ok, let´s do some magic :)

install the needed repo-files via

#wget
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-2.noarch.rpm
#wget http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/remi-release-5.rpm
#rpm -Uvh remi-release-5*.rpm epel-release-5*.rpm

check if the new repo (remi.repo) is available under /etc/yum.repos.d/

search for the new php packages as a test

#yum --enablerepo=remi search php

yum should find all php related packages that are available on the
remi-repo.

now, install what you need.

for php

#yum --enablerepo=remi install php

you should get

Dependencies Resolved

 Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Updating:
 php                     i386       5.2.9-1.el5.remi  remi
1.3 M
 php-cli                 i386       5.2.9-1.el5.remi  remi
2.4 M
 php-common              i386       5.2.9-1.el5.remi  remi
267 k
Installing for dependencies:
 mysql-libs              i386       5.1.34-1.el5.remi  remi
 2.1 M
 sqlite2                 i386       2.8.17-2.el5.remi  remi
 170 k
Updating for dependencies:
 php-mysql               i386       5.2.9-1.el5.remi  remi
 84 k
 php-pdo                 i386       5.2.9-1.el5.remi  remi
 91 k

Transaction Summary
Install      2 Package(s)
Update       5 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)

press [y] and your php engine will be updated to 5.2.9.

everytime you want to install something from the remi-repositorie you
have to add the enablerepo-option. Otherwise the danger of totally mixed
up packages is far too big.

You could also brows the repo under
http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/5

so long....

Anton

Darvin Denmian schrieb:
> I appreciate all the answers
>
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Anton Hofmann
> <doomrunner.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the version of php you need is not available in rhn you could use
> some 3rd party repos like rpmforge, ATrpms or the Remi Collet Repository
> that is specially made for mysql 5.1 and php5.2.9 under EL5.
>
> But you should know that these repositories are not provided nor
> supported by RedHat and really could mess up your whole installation if
> you don´t know what your´re doing.
>
> Its possible to set the Remi-Repo as a special php installation/update
> tree for yum. For any further details please don't hesitate to ask,
> because as said before, you could really fuck thinks up with that.....
>
> regards
> Anton

- --