Xen virtual machines and ntp

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Tue May 19 14:55:54 UTC 2009

mark wrote:

> Let's also not forget that consultant rates are higher than employee pay rates,
> *and* there's the loading for the consulting co itself; the result is that it
> costs a company *more* for a consultant than for an employee.

I swear I did not want to get into this but I can't :-) . Consultants do
cost more than employ rates, but every descent non corrupt management
(from the technical lead to the Director or whatever) makes a decision
to employ a consultant to either stop the company from loosing money or
jumpstart the company to higher earnings. Capable consultants do not
just cost more, they bring more value. If the opposite happens,
management is either corrupt, clueless or contracts did not have clauses
to role over bad consultants.

One day I had to sarcastically enforce that view to a guy that was
making another sarcastic comment about my hourly rate as a consultant. I
replied by giving him a finance report that was justifying how much
money they were loosing because their Oracle DB was running like a dog.
He never talked to me again after that. :-P

So, I am highly allergic to that "paying more" business.

(Ex consultant, current employee :-) )
George Magklaras BSc Hons MPhil
RHCE:805008309135525

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX-Linux Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://folk.uio.no/georgios