Semi OT: cpu always 100%

ESGLinux esggrupos at gmail.com
Fri May 22 06:55:19 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have marked this question as Semi OFF Topic because I think its not Red
Hat specific issue but a related product.

I use tomcat on a  Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 4).
What happens to me is that suddenly the process of tomcat gets 100% CPU and
stays at that level of usage for ever. I suspect there is a problem with my
application (I´m not asking about this, that´s my problem :-( )

What I want to know is, how can I see, for example, the thread of tomcat is
consumming the cpu (I have tried the thead options of ps) and if is there
any way to inspect what is doing a thread.

On the other hand, the server has 2 cpus (in /proc/cpuinfo) and when I run
top I see values of the more than 100%. I think this means one CP at 100%
and the other the rest of the cpu. Is there any way to see the actual value
of cpu usage per cpu?

Thanks in advance

ESG