Unprivileged User's Account Without a Password

Devarishi Kumar Mahadeva dk_mahadeva at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 20:55:37 UTC 2009

Hi,

Can we have an unprivileged user's account without any password such that the user can still login and perform tasks in the same way he or she would do by entering a valid password.

Well, as I am aware of it that when we create a user's account by giving the following command:

#useradd <UserName>

We don't have to set a password for that account at this state. But if we try to log in using that user name we are prompted to enter a valid password. We can't log in without a password set for that account.

So, is there any way to overcome it?

With regards,

Devarishi Kumar Mahadeva
System Analyst (Data Center Operations)