Programming Languages that UNIX / Linux programmer or System Administrators Use

Edson Marquezani Filho edsonmarquezani at gmail.com
Wed May 27 12:41:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 6:49 PM, mark <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:
> Hi, Devarishi,
>
> Devarishi Kumar Mahadeva wrote:
>>
>> What are some of the mostly used Programming Languages that UNIX / Linux
>> programmer or System Administrators prefer to write their subroutines,
>> modules, or applications in? I know C and am grasping knowledge of C++ and
>> Java as these programming languages are a part of my M.Sc. IT course. I am
>> fidning Shell Script very interesting and not so difficult to understand
>> because my knowledge of C is proving a great deal of help in learning Bash
>> Shell Script.
>>
>> But I see that there are other programming languages and tools such as
>> Python, Ruby, etc. So, which one(s) should I focus on such that I can make a
>>  great difference in my career and job?

If you take a look at basic Unix environment administration tools,
you'll see that many of them are actualy only Perl scripts.
I'm not exactly a programmer, but I'm very interested in Perl, and I'm
going to study it soon. It can be a very usefull and powerfull tool at
an Unix environment as well as Shell-Script.

Obviously, Perl is only one of the nice languages that you can find around. =)

Obs: By the way, in most of cases, knowing C will help you a lot,
whatever language you have chosen, because a bunch of them had their
syntax derivated from C.

Good luck. =)