why the clock become very slow?

Tech W. techwww at yahoo.com.cn
Tue Nov 24 09:46:45 UTC 2009

Helo,

I'm runnig a Linux with Vmware virtual host.
The kernel is 2.6.24.

But this day I found its clock becomes very slow,

# date
Tue Nov 24 17:39:06 CST 2009
# date
Tue Nov 24 17:39:06 CST 2009
# date
Tue Nov 24 17:39:06 CST 2009
# date
Tue Nov 24 17:39:06 CST 2009
# date
Tue Nov 24 17:39:06 CST 2009

As you see above, I input many `date` commands, but the time (for details, the seconds) keep the same.

The system load is low,

# uptime
 17:39:10 up 0 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.23, 0.07, 0.02

# free -m
Mem:           498        214        284          0          9         39
-/+ buffers/cache:        165        333
Swap:         1796          0       1796

What happened to my system? please help, thanks.

Regards,
Wah.